Noritake’s quality porcelain and bone china are actually the strongest ceramic dinnerware materials. They are fired at the highest temperatures and are made of the strongest ingredients. After conducting extensive tests on several of our porcelain and bone china patterns, we found that they are every bit as dishwasher safe as our casual dinnerware. Feel free to use your "good china" whenever you want to make an occasion special, or any time at all.
Most casual Noritake dinnerware is safe for use in the microwave, refrigerator and freezer. Detergent-safe means that Noritake technology has protected the delicate decorations from the effects of the harsh chemicals present in many detergents. Keep this in mind about all of your dinnerware, glassware and tableware: treat them with the respect that high quality, beautifully crafted products of any kind deserve. Although very strong, these items are still breakable if abused.
Crystal Glassware & Giftware
We recommend hand washing fine crystal. Make sure to remove all jewelry as not to scratch the glass also place something in the bottom of the sink so the glassware does not break or fracture.
Casual glassware from Noritake is dishwasher safe.
Cleaning Your Dinnerware
- The majority of Noritake bone china, fine porcelain and stoneware dinnerware is dishwasher safe. Check the pattern description on NoritakeChina.com to see if your pattern is dishwasher safe; if you cannot locate this information, please contact Customer Service.
- Proper loading and unloading of your dishwasher will extend the life of any dinnerware. Follow the dishwasher manufacturer’s instructions for correct placement, detergent levels and wash strengths to insure optimum cleaning and care of your dinnerware.
- Lemon or other citrus-scented detergents are not recommended as they may damage metallic elements of your dinnerware.
- Noritake crystal stemware should be hand washed unless the dishwasher has a stemware cycle and special rack to prevent movement, although we recommend hand washing. Noritake glassware is dishwasher safe.
- Use of the air dry setting is recommended. Metallic bands of gold and platinum should be allowed to cool to room temperature before removing from the dishwasher.
- For both dinnerware and crystal stemware, avoid any sudden temperature change, such as putting a hot item into cool water.
- To avoid scratches, steel wool, caustic liquids and abrasive cleansers should never be used to clean your dinnerware or stemware.
- Gray marks and rust spots:
- Gray marks appearing on your dinnerware are most often caused by flatware or other metal utensils leaving deposits of nickel on the surface. These marks can be successfully removed by using Bar Keepers Friend®.
- Rust spots are almost always caused by dishwasher rack prongs that have worn to expose the metal. Bar Keepers Friend® or CLR® can be used to remove these rust stains.
- Sticker removal:
- The adhesive is water soluble. Soak in warm soapy water for approximately 1 hour for ease of removal.
- Metallic bands of gold and platinum should never be put into a microwave oven. There is a small number of active patterns that have metallic elements that are microwave safe. Please check the description of each pattern on NoritakeChina.com for information on the status of each pattern/item. If you cannot locate this information, please contact Customer Service.
- Use caution when removing any item from the microwave containing hot liquid.
- Avoid subjecting your dinnerware to dramatic or sudden temperature changes as this might cause the item to crack – i.e. taking an item hot from the oven into cold water.
- Do not expose your dinnerware to direct flame either on the stove top or in the broiler.
Care Advice for Stored China
(See the "storage" section for instructions on storing your fine china.)
When taking your dinnerware out of storage, you may find that the gold or platinum banding has discolored. A good cleaning in warm soapy water using a soft cloth should clean this discoloration and restore your dinnerware to its former beauty. Gold and Platinum do not tarnish and polish should never be used on your dinnerware as it could seriously damage the metal banding.
We hope this information will help you keep your Noritake tableware beautiful and long lasting for generations to come. When you choose Noritake, you choose exceptional quality dinnerware of unsurpassed beauty and value from a name you can trust.